Thursday, July 9, 2009

The internet: where people can be nasty!!!

Have you noticed this?
I have.

I had the bright idea that I would search online for forums and blogs related to Occupational Therapy, because I am about to start the OT Program at Wayne State University in 2 months. I thought it would be cool and ENCOURAGING to hear other's perspectives on life as an OT.

It's crazy how discouraging it is and how I have found myself somehow getting sucked into wanting to know what the next horrible thing that people will say about OT, or the other people on the forum. UGGGHhhh, I know, I know, this is unhealthy and self-destructive behavior!

So, there is this person who constantly writes into this OT forum to basically attack the field of OT and anyone who has any interest in this field at all. This person is degrading and really just hateful in their remarks.

This person amazes me. I mean, are they really this mean in their day-to-day life? Surely not, or else they would be terribly lonely with no friends. Of course, maybe they are and thats why they have so much time to write mean things on online forums.

I think there's something about the internet and the way it can make you feel blocked from any consequences of your actions (yet there are always consequences). You can speak to others whom you don't even know in any way you feel like it...because, what are they going to do? Maybe it's just a way some people vent at every person they've ever disliked or something....

I have no clue and frankly I'm in shock at some of the things I have read on these forums.
I wrote a message asking if anyone "Actually like being an OT" and of course this person just responded with darts at me and how foolish I basically am for being so "blinded" by the "profession" of OT.

The crazy thing is, my feelings are actually hurt by this person in cyberworld who I will never meet....I mean if I did meet this person, I wouldn't even know it b/c I only know them by their made-up username! Right now, I'm struggling with why am I so sensitive and let foolish things like this hurt me! Ahhhh, I wish I could get a little bit of a harder shell sometimes.

So, has anyone else encountered this? Mean people on the internet who use it to say things that they would probably NEVER say to someone's face????

I'm curious to hear.

Any encouragement? :)

1 comment:

  1. Yeah...try as best you can to take what people say from behind their computer screens with a gigantic grain of salt. It's okay to pay attention to the constructive criticisms, but ignore the ignorant comments. That person probably just had a bad experience and is bashing everyone else's character immaturely because of it. Or he/she has never even been in OT school and just decided to terrorize a certain topic. People do that, believe it or not. People like that are all over Youtube and blogs, etc. where they can be anonymous.

    And yes, I have experienced much of this.
    http://detroitarts.blogspot.com/2007/02/john-azoni-motor-city_02.html

    That's a link to one of several blog posts on this website for the Detroit art scene a few years back where people would just bash me and my work anonymously. People that probably knew me in real life mind you.

    Don't worry about it. I used to let that stuff ruin my day, and in fact it was a large reason why I stopped making art for a long time. But now I see how much I took other people's immaturity personally. Eventually i realized that the people that matter - those who were buying and showing my work - enjoyed my work and were supportive. The people that didn't matter - those who hadn't invested a penny in me as an artist - crapped all over me.

    Who's opinion should I have cared about more? HAH!

    ReplyDelete