Monday, June 29, 2009

Confession:

Yesterday at church we had a time of Confession, Prayer and Praise. It was an amazing experience to share and be vulnerable with one another.
So many people just got up to share the sin in their lives, the brokenness that they feel and to ask for support, accountability, and forgiveness.

Isn't this the way the church should always be? A refuge and support system for broken people. Yet, so much of the time we put up walls & hide our needs from the very ones that we need help from.

Much of the time, when my struggles are right at the surface and I feel a sense of despair from the messiness that is inside....I tend to isolate myself due to this lie that I must present a joyful face. I often fear that the body of Christ around me will start thinking I'm just "unstable" b/c I always have some "issue"....therefore, I fear being vulnerable. Honestly, though, I often have such a hard time "faking it"....that it just seems like I'm a little socially awkward:) ha. that's funny.

Anyways, yesterday was truly beautiful and freeing. After confessing my battle with depression, my angst about living in Detroit, and my fight to "be present", I found power over those struggles. For the moment I was able to say "enough"- I am stronger than this.

That's a really cool moment. I pray that, as the body of Christ, that we will continue to feel comfortable with making a practice of confession and providing gracious acceptance in reponse.

No comments:

Post a Comment