Thursday, April 16, 2009

Why am I starting this blog?

There are plenty of reasons to start a blog. here are a few that come to mind:
-to update my family who is a 1,000 miles away on my life
-to process my thoughts through writing
-to gain insight and thoughts on my experiences from the readers

....
I think those are all part of why I started this blog, but mostly...mostly just to ask for prayer.
I believe wholeheartedly that there are some beautiful people in our lives who love us and care for us and wish to support us and WE NEED IT!!!

I've hit a rough spot in my time here in Detroit & I will write more on this later, but please pray for us. We covet it.

Here are a few things you can be praying for:
-Our marriage, for balance in our schedules to spend time together and to lift one another up in the challenges.

-Questions about the future...should we go back to school? Should we change jobs? Should we purchase a super cheap house in Detroit?

-My emotional state- I've been battling depression a lot since we returned from the wedding and been having a super challenging time making Detroit "My home". I miss my family and the life I knew. Please pray that through the power of the Holy Spirit...I would embrace this as home and feel joy about it.

-Mack Ave Community Church- the church plant that we are a part of here in the city. That it would be a presence of love and hope in this community. That Nick and I would know our roles in this church body and that we would be mindful of not being too busy just doing lots of spiritual stuff, but that we would actually be falling more in love with Jesus and this community.

-Our jobs- that Nick and I would perservere and remember to go to work every day filled with vision for the people that we serve. Burn out is a very real challenge right now (mainly for me). Would you pray that God would give us renewed compassion for the homeless (Nick) and the foster youth (Laurie).

-The state of this city- it's no secret that Detroit is a very rough place! Pray for this city! Pray for the power of darkness to be overcome, because Satan's presence is so evident here---unlike anything I think I've ever experienced. The people of this city walk around in darkness and it is such a sad place. Pray for redemption of this place... please.

I ask for your prayers, i ask deeply for them.

Lately, I've been terribly overcome by the realization that I cannot do this life alone. We need each other. Thank you for being one of those people that 'i need'...I pray that I can be the same for you.

~Laurie

2 comments:

  1. Could you think about finding a new spiritual practice that you really believe in and look forward to? Or is there anything you consistently look forward to now that you could make a spiritual practice? That's been a really good thing for me.

    I send my love...
    angel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to tell you that I love you and am praying for you. Thank you for letting me know how I can pray specifically. It is a privilege to lift you and Nick up. I am proud of you. Let's set a phone date soon. I am trusting that God has you where He does and is using you in ways you are unable to see right now. Fight Satan's lies with truth and don't let the enemy discourage you from doing the work that is so much bigger than yourself.
    I love you so much, Laurie.
    Kari

    ReplyDelete